Saturday, November 19, 2011

Day 8: Tree of Life


"I never saw a discontented tree. They grip the ground as though they liked it, and though fast rooted they travel about as far as we do. They do wandering forth in all directions with every wind, going and coming like ourselves, traveling with us around the sun two million miles a day, and through space heaven knows how fast and far!"
-John Muir

This week's theme: Nature
Most people that know me probably have heard about my love for trees. They're probably my favorite things on the planet. That's not an exaggeration. I especially love the symbolism of the Tree of Life, a tree with many branches that symbolizes how all of life is created. (Bear with me as I get philosophical for a second) Because when you think about it, the quote above is right. Compared to the universe, everyone and everything on Earth is flying through space all together at an unimaginable speed, and when you think about things on that scale, we really are closely connected. So really, we should all love everything on this planet, including trees which supply us with the oxygen we need to survive (and are just plain beautiful) because we're not going to escape from it, and every time we destroy a forest or clear a field to construct something that's not necessary in the first place, we're destroying something that we'll have to live without for the rest of our lives.
Sorry for ranting. I'm really not a tree-hugger or anything, but I do think we should take more care of the beautiful things on this planet sometimes. 

Anyways, trees are symbols of life, antiquity, strength, immortality, fertility, and other aspects pertaining to the longevity and vitality of life. That's why they're my favorite forms of symbolism

No comments:

Post a Comment