Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Day 4: Einstein


I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein

I was at first having trouble choosing a quote to go with this sketch. Einstiein definitely said a lot of interesting and meaningful things. However, I felt that this quote really applied to this blog and my purposes in creating it. I started drawing on a whim a few months ago. I had no reason to try drawing other than that I wanted to learn a new skill. In the last year/year and a half I have also learned to knit, play guitar (still in progress), and am taking a writing fiction class here at school (which, as it turns out, I am pretty terrible at). And, of course, I am learning about blogging. I do not plan on pursuing any of these hobbies professionally; these endeavors have been for the purpse of learning new skills. Because learning new things is fun, even though it's sometimes frustrating (creative writing...grrrrr)!

Anyways, here are a few other quotes by Albert Einstein that I love:
  • Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited.
  • The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.
  • Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
  • There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.
  • Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
  • Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
  • The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the source of all true art and science.
  • Only one who devotes himself to a cause with his whole strength and soul can be a true master. For this reason mastery demands all of a person.
  • Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.
  • Joy in looking and comprehending is nature's most beautiful gift.
  • Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.
  • Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile.
  • Our task must be to free ourselves by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty.
  • Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited.
  • Keep on sowing your seed, for you never know which will grow - perhaps it all will.
  • Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.
These are just a few of the many wise things said by Einstein. I never realized he was such a philosopher!

On another note, I think I'm already beginning to feel drawing become easier for me! I finished this drawing in less than an hour, and was able to finish it between my morning class and afternoon lab, which is nice. And, in my opinion, it still came out well relative to other drawings I've done. It's nice to feel like I'm making progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment