Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 24: Mermaid


"I must be a mermaid, Rango. I have no fear of depths and a great fear of shallow living."
-Anais Nin

Magic 

Sandra's seen a leprechaun,
Eddie Touched a troll,
Laurie danced with witches once,
Charlie found some goblin's gold,
Donald heard a mermaid sing,
Susy spied an elf,
But all the magic I have know
I've had to make myself.

-Shel Silverstein, Where the Sidewalk Ends

A few facts about mermaids:
  • The first mermaid was actually a mermad, and he was the god Oannes from Babylon.
  • A two-tailed mermaid is the basis of the Starbucks logo. It has been edited from the original because some people found it too sexually suggestive.
  • It is believed that creatures such as mermaids represented our understanding that humans were one with animals but also different from them. 
  • Columbus reported seeing mermaids in his log

No comments:

Post a Comment