Monday, November 28, 2011

Day 17: Drawing



"What do drawings mean to me? I really don't know. The activity absorbs me. I forget everything else in a way that I don't think happens with any other activity."
-John Berger

Today, I did things a little differently. Rather than drawing a photograph that I'm staring at, I instead drew my own hand by just lookin at it. This is the first time I've tried drawing something three dimensional rather than a flat image, so it was rather challenging. It's a completely different way of viewing things. Although it's not great, it's not as much of a trainwreck as I was expecting. You can't expect to be perfect at something on the first try, after all. I think I gave a good effort.

Anyways, the drawing represents one of my new favorite hobbies that takes up much of my free time: drawing (obviously). It's amazing how much just drawing for a few months has changed (literally) how I view the world. I'm finding myself noticing shadows and lines more often, especially in faces (which, if you've looked at the rest of my blog, are my favorite things to draw).

And now, to wrap up today's post, here are some drawings that I found about drawing that I feel really capture the essence of why I'm doing this blog or why I've come to really enjoy drawing:
  • It is only by drawing often, drawing everything, drawing incessantly, that one fine day you discover to your surprise that you have rendered something in its true character. -Camille Pissarro
  • Draw, as much and as often as you can. When drawing lies fallow, the skill diminishes. -Gene Black
  • No one can walk away from a fine drawing session and feel downcast. -Catherine Robertson
  • Do not fail, as you go on, to draw something every day, for no matter how little it is, it will be well worth while, and it will do you a world of good. -Cennino Cennini
  • Drawing is touching at a distance. -Sigmund Abeles
  • Drawing is like the first kiss. It carries within it the deepest emotion and the challenge of the first step. It is the first cry after birth. -Ala Bashir
  • Drawing not only develops hand-eye coordination, it teaches one to really observe, to see, as nothing else ever will. -Nancy Marculewicz
  • Before you are able to draw, you have to learn to see, and you learn to see by drawing. -Mick Maslen
  • To 'draw' implies everything the word stands for: to pull or to drag or to draw forth, as from the earth, a vein, or well. -Lance Esplund
  • Drawing is the honesty of the art. There is no possibility of cheating. It is either good or bad. -Salvador Dali
  • Drawing is the simplest way of establishing a picture vocabulary because it is an instant, personal declaration of what is important and what is not. -Betty Goodwin
  • Draw as if the object being drawn has never existed - because it hasn't. -Andrew Hamilton

No comments:

Post a Comment